Tuesday, January 18, 2011

state of the girl.

I've been feeling different lately. I wouldn't call it a feeling of contentment but maybe more so a feeling of comfort. For those of you who have been reading for a while, you may remember the roller coaster of emotions I dealt with upon graduating college back in May. Knowing that I had just left the last sure thing in my life was really mind boggling. I always knew the academic course I was on. Middle school, high school, college. But college is really the last thing that is for certain. There's no guarantee I will get married and have a family or have a great career, or any career for that matter. Those are all things that I have to work for and at. And I was scared, terrified even. What if I got stuck somewhere along the way to where I am and where I am going? But I took a step back, looked at the little pictures as opposed to the big ones, and I think I am doing just fine. There isn't going to be another time in my life where I can be this selfish. I hate to throw that term around but literally I am doing everything on my own accord lately, and I am finally doing it for ME. I want to work my gym time in to my daily schedule, I want to feel better in my clothes and my skin, I want to splurge on dinners and drinks in the city. The only person I have to be accountable to right now is myself {and my boss of course ;)}. I think I had been so concerned for so long about doing things for other people, that I really just lost myself. So what if I am not saving a whole lot, but my job is getting done and my bills are getting paid on time. I have a roof over my head and food in my tummy. I know who I am and what I have to offer. I always said that I needed to love myself before someone else was going to love me, but I don't think I really ever believed it. Now, I really can't imagine feeling otherwise. I can't say that I am having a full on love affair with me just yet, but it's a work in progress.  

6 comments:

  1. I just wnt to copy & paste this so that I can shout it from my own blog!! THAT IS EXACTLY HOW I FEEL.
    Except, I suffered a fire in April and lost everything I worked so hard at in college for 5 years - I was supposed to graduate in August. Life went spiraling downward, I coped in ways I should not have coped, I dove into a relationship with someone else and forgot where my independence was, we broke up, I postponed graduation until December, I was sinking - being horrible to myself as a ways to cope... and I didn't go to school this Fall. I broke, I lost it. So now I am at home where I am loved, but I am not graduated, and I am down on myself about that. YOU ARE A LUCKY GIRL SO LIVE IT UP! I know that my day is coming... I'm a broken winged little baby bird getting helped back to fly away on my own, but the time and patience and waiting game are no fun. I wnat to be doing what YOU are doing!!!
    You're awesome... live YOUR life.

    pickingwildflowersblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great way to feel, so happy for you!
    xoxo
    SC

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an excellent frame of mind! Cheers to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ROCK ON GIRLFRIEND! I know how you feel. This is the age of the single girl and we should take full advantage of it. It is okay to be selfish and do things just for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great blog! I feel the exact same way and I'm just trying to enjoy this time for "Me" in my life! :)

    ~Tiffany
    http://tiffanyd22.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. yay you!
    be selfish... it's definitely the only time in your life it will be socially acceptable!

    ReplyDelete