Such a dreaded question. I kind of cringed even typing it out, but that is what was asked of me last night. And I really am not sure how to answer it. Then she asked me what my friends would say about me, and when I said I wish I knew she suggested I ask. So there you have it, my therapy homework assignment. So I awkwardly went about asking my besties "Why are you my friend?" The thing that hurt me the most was when I talked to my mom she said "Well don't put down that you're a good sister." I know that my siblings and I have gotten in arguments over the years. WHO HASN'T?! I think my sister has this unattainable idea of us frolicking through the pansies together and never fighting. That's called unrealistic. We are too close in age, too alike, while also being too different to get along perfectly all the time. And that's completely boring anyways. A lot of you have been saying that I shouldn't be so hard on myself but I've always been my toughest critic. I would cry in second grade when I didn't finish my timed multiplication quizzes. I had to do everything right all. the. time. And as you can see, a lot of that self criticism comes from the criticism from my mother. I know she knows a lot about me and that she doesn't sugar coat things, but that doesn't stop her words from stinging every now and again. So I decided that I will be putting on my list, along with whatever else I come up with between now and next week, that I am the sister I know how to be, and that's the best I can do.
ETA: This blog will not be turning into a self help column, that I can promise and assure you.
Neutralization Titration Worksheet
4 years ago

I'm sure you're not a bad sister. I have a similar situation -- my sister is very close in age to me and of course we don't always get along. At the end of the day though, we love each other and are there for each other.
ReplyDeleteAlso, on your post yesterday, I'm glad you posted a picture! It's great to see the face behind the writing! Good luck on your journey ahead!
I have two sisters. Our relationships are constantly evolving and changing.
ReplyDelete