Second post today, bet no one saw that coming.
As has been expressed countless times on this blog, I am pretty in the know when it comes to celebrity gossip. I wish I cared less, really I do. But alas, I am a habitual People.com checker and I love the E! Channel. Apparently when it rains, it pours in Hollywood in the area of couples splitting up. First Courtn*ey C*0x and Dav*id Arq*eutte and now Christi*na Ag*uilera and her husband. So then I got to thinking, about something that I feel very strongly about and have yet to delve into on this blog for fear or some people going off the deep end. But here goes anyways, because this is my party and I'll stand on my soap box if I want to.
Marriage is no longer what it used to be. Half of marriages these days will end in divorce. While it goes without saying that I've never been married, or anywhere near the end zone of matrimony, I grew up with parents who have been married for almost 24 years and my maternal grandparents were married for 62 years. 62 years, can you even imagine? I knew that the day my grandmother passed away that my grandfather would never be the same. He didn't want to, and to be quite honest, couldn't live without her. Does a love like that even exist anymore? I can barely stand the same guy for 62 minutes much less 62 years. It was that day that I decided that if I could ever feel half the love that they had for each other in my life that I would be okay.
So why do I bring this up? Well yesterday was Nati*onal Comi*ng O*ut Da*y, it is being celebrated today in the UK. It saddens me that there are people in this world who have that same love that my grandparents had and are looked down on because of it. I have always been a strong believer that we would all be a lot better off if we were more concerned with ourselves and less with other people. If all the people out there against gay marriage put half of that energy towards something else, think of how productive they could be. How someone else chooses to love has no bearing on my happiness, so why would I ever think that I have the right to deny them happiness? If you're a man, and you don't want to marry another man, THEN DON'T! I really feel like it is that simple. Everyone deserves to be loved and to be happy.

Love this post -- I feel the exact same way about my Grandparents. When my Gram passed away one of the things I remember so clearly was my PopPop saying to me "She was my best buddy and I don't know what I am going to do without her."
ReplyDeleteKnowing that there are couples out there now that feel anything close to that kind of love and are not permitted to make that union legal upsets me to no end.
I went on a date with a guy and he told me he didn't want gays to get married because then they could adopt children more easily. I was like well, that is the big deal and how does it really effect you? Lots of kids need loving homes. He said well, what if he had a child and his child went to school with another child who had gay parents and what if his kid asked to go to a sleepover at the house of the gay couple? What would he say to his kids? I told him to send his kids to Catholic school. It was a very irritating conversation.
ReplyDeleteCould not agree with you more! The people that claim "marraige is sacred, and between only a man and woman" have a lot of explaining to do....if it's so sacred, why do 50%of marraiges fail? I know of many gay couples that have been together 20+ years and are denied the right to be legally bound and have the same legal rights as me. It's really a civil rights issue, and it's disgusting that we even have to talk about it! It sounds just be made legal so can move on... there are so many other issues that call for debate in this country. Gay marraige is so obvious, legalize already!
ReplyDelete