Wednesday, July 8, 2009

intern does not translate to scapegoat

Caution: Rant dead ahead!

Let me preface this post by saying that I realize how lucky I am to have a paid internship this summer, much less an internship at all. I am learning a lot and really see myself with a career in this field. The people in my office have been quick to teach me and provide me with projects that are challenging yet manageable. I did not, however, take a job to be the brunt of people's poor planning and lack of time management. Yesterday I had a project to work on. As I am working to finish it before I head home at 5, I am then told that we will be "switching gears" Okay that's fine. I happen to have a BS in Multitasking. I have come to learn that this certain individual that assigned me these projects is quick to pass along his work to everyone else. So at 330 yesterday afternoon (!!!) I am told that I need to do all this data entry for a report that needs to be given to the client TODAY! I know that this guy sits in his office pretending to be busy. Believe me, we all have mastered that skill. But alas, he felt it necessary to spend more time explaining what he needed me to do than actually doing it himself. People are awesome.



5 comments:

  1. eeeagggggghhhh

    glad that you could get that off your chest and outta your system!

    kHm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh I had someone similar at my internship. She didn't even know my name yet she was always trying to get me to do HER work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i totally feel you on this. boo for lazy kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you got stuck with other people's work. Some co-workers are just SO rude!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sadly, that's how some people roll. And it sucks for us people who get put on the receiving end.

    Stay positive though and know that you're impressing someone with your hard work!

    ReplyDelete