There is something very refreshing about a good quote or song lyric. I find it to be comforting knowing that someone I have never and probably will never meet could say/sing something that so accurately describes how I am currently feeling or have felt in the past. I live for the road trips where it is just me and my iPod and I can sing at the top of my lungs or reflect on what the artist is saying and how it translates to my life. On more than one occasion, I have been brought to tears by a song that really just speaks to me. "The Other Little Soldier" by Josh Gracin makes me cry every single time I hear it. Gavin DeGraw is one my favorite singers. I can sense that he takes such care in his writing and really wants his listeners to have a moving experience. A good song is one that can be interpreted in many ways and mean different things for different people. If you have not heard his new CD Free, it is amazing.. one of the rare finds where you can listen to it entirely without skipping songs. Lady Antebellum has a great song titled "I Was Here". I love Hillary Scott's voice and their songs really have a great message. This song, in particular, talks about leaving an impact on the world in some way and I think that your words stick around long after you are gone. One of my favorite quotes has to be "To love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides" - David Viscott
Do any of you have any favorite quotes that you live by? I can always use new words of wisdom. :)
Neutralization Titration Worksheet
4 years ago

I love the line in the Foo Fighters "Everlong" that says "Breath out so I can breath you in"
ReplyDeletei'm the quote girl! i actually was going to do a blog post asking everyones favorite quotes...here are three of my favorites
ReplyDelete"if you just learn a single trick, scout, you'll get along a lot better with all kinds of folks. you never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it."
-to kill a mockingbird
“no matter what profession you choose, you must try, even in the smallest ways, to improve the quality of life of our children. no matter what your political philosophy, reach down from that ladder and see if there isn’t some child you can pull up a rung or two. some are sick, some are lonely, some are uneducated, most have little control over their fate. give them a hand, give them a chance, give them their dignity."
-tim russert
"...if I asked you about art, you'd probably give me the skinny on every art book ever written. Michelangelo, you know a lot about him. Life's work, political aspirations, him and the pope, sexual orientations, the whole works, right? But I'll bet you can't tell me what it smells like in the Sistine Chapel. You've never actually stood there and looked up at that beautiful ceiling; seen that. If I ask you about women, you'd probably give me a syllabus about your personal favorites. You may have even been laid a few times. But you can't tell me what it feels like to wake up next to a woman and feel truly happy. You're a tough kid. And I'd ask you about war, you'd probably throw Shakespeare at me, right, "once more unto the breach dear friends." But you've never been near one. You've never held your best friend's head in your lap, watch him gasp his last breath looking to you for help. I'd ask you about love, you'd probably quote me a sonnet. But you've never looked at a woman and been totally vulnerable. Known someone that could level you with her eyes, feeling like God put an angel on earth just for you. Who could rescue you from the depths of hell. And you wouldn't know what it's like to be her angel, to have that love for her, be there forever, through anything, through cancer. And you wouldn't know about sleeping sitting up in the hospital room for two months, holding her hand, because the doctors could see in your eyes, that the terms "visiting hours" don't apply to you. You don't know about real loss, 'cause it only occurs when you've loved something more than you love yourself. And I doubt you've ever dared to love anybody that much."
-good will hunting
sorry it's so long, but I LOVE quotes :)
I don't think there are many feelings that compare to hearing a song for the first time and feeling something. The song "I Go Back" by Kenny Chesney is like that for me. The line "We all have a song that's somehow stamped our lives, takes us to another place and time" is, to me, one of the most prolific lines of a song ever written. I have an entire notebook full of quotes I hear or song lyrics I like.
ReplyDeleteBTW, I consider "I Was Here" to be my life anthem. "Settlin'" by Sugarland and "Johnny & June" by Heidi Newfield are my other anthems.
I too have a post on lyrics and quotes planned!
I love finding a great song quote that "completes" what I'm feeling or something that I've felt before... it's amazing. Sometimes you feel like they are singing right to you! :o)
ReplyDeleteI love Matt Nathanson, Josh Gracin, Gavin DeGraw, Howie Day, Kelly Clarkson, and there is this guy that had a song out in the summer of 2007 who has amazing music too... but I can't think of the name of his songs or his name! BLAH!
"This Ones for The Girls" by Martina McBride is a song that was my anthem when I was 25 (2 short years ago)...it was oh so true:
ReplyDelete"This is for all you girls about twenty-five
In a little apartment, just trying to get by
Living on, on dreams and spaghetti-o's
Wondering where you life is gonna go"
And I do love "Settlin" by Sugarland, "Any Man of Mine" by Shania...sooo many good lyrics and quotes. Gotta love how a song can help change your mood. =)