*WARNING: Less than cheery post ahead!
A lot of you have written "Your Stories". Whether they be the story of how you came into your faith, met your significant other, or some other big life event, you have let us in to a part of your life. I can only guess that it wasnt all that comfortable at first but you felt glad afterward and probably a little less burdened. As I sit here preparing to write My Story, I can only hope that it somehow helps me to heal and move forward.
I talked in a previous post about my quest to lose 30 pounds by graduation in May. I feel that in order to be the least bit successful in that I need to rid myself of a lot of baggage. This is my first attempt at that. I have/had an eating disorder since about the end of 7th grade. I struggle with whether to describe this in past or present tense because I don't know if this is something that I or anyone for that matter ever gets over. It comes in waves so I think its more of an on/off thing than something that I am rid of.
I was a skinny child. A bean pole if you will. I had danced from the age of 3 and in 6th grade I auditioned for the competitive group at my studio. I never had any issues with the way I looked, but then again I was 11 years old. I remember feeling less than comfortable in my two piece costume for my jazz number but I look back at pictures of a body without an once of fat on it and wonder what the hell I was worried about. Puberty came and things changed and then I moved the summer between 6th and 7th grade. I remember coming home that day and eating some ice cream and flipping out. I went into the bathroom and made myself sick.
I talk a lot about the relationship that I have with my mother. While she is my best friend, she has also been a big contributing factor to my self image issues. It was always something with her. "Suck in your stomach, you know if you were just a little thinner you would get more attention from boys" and it continued like that for years. Around 8th or 9th grade she figured out what I had been doing and ensued the denial, the promising of stopping but I was really lost in all of it. It continued for the majority of high school and I had to come up with more creative ways of hiding it. Sophomore year of high school I decided I needed to get some help. The therapist was less than helpful as she blamed everything on my mother, which in her defense isnt really fair. My grandmother was hard on her growing up and I think that it just translated into her not knowing any differently when it came to dealing with my sister and me.
When I got to college, I enrolled myself in a program in hopes that this would be a big change for me. I met with a nutritionist, psychologist, and the physician on campus and I felt like I was making some headway. Community bathrooms probably saved me for that year because obviously there was no privacy. Sophomore year I moved into a house turned into a dorm with a roommate who had the same struggles as me. Horrible idea, even worse situation. Living in that room was like living in a blackhole. I cant remember exactly but it was probably one of my worst semesters academically as well. Luckily we both moved into the sorority building, so we were able to part as friends knowing that it had been a bad living situation.
Since then, I have been fine while at school. I might not eat the healthiest but I have been able to rationalize in my head that making myself sick is not the answer. I just want to be healthy and happy. I want to feel good in my own skin, and I know that weight loss is not the end all be all and that beauty comes from within etc etc but we all know we live in a SKINNY WORLD. Its tough being a girl these days with all the pressures on us to be beautiful. I know that everything in my life is connected. When I dont feel good about my appearance I am moody and I push people away and everything sort of spirals.
So here it is, 3 days before a new year, a new decade, and a new me. In 6th months I will be out of college and moving on to a new stage of my life and I want to be the best version of myself when I embark on my future. I was talking to a friend the other day and she was saying that she just cant get herself to work out and I said that I think if you just force yourself for a little while it becomes part of your everyday. So it seems that I know, WHAT I need to do, the execution of that is where I fall short.
If you made it through this, Thank you. Here's to all of us, in the quest to be the best we can be.
Neutralization Titration Worksheet
4 years ago

You are perfect just the way you are. Always remember that.
ReplyDeleteI had my own struggles once with e.d. Everyone I knew back in college did. Too much pressure.
Need to go easy on yourself. We're all just doing the best we can on this journey through life. Therapy for a year saved me, I never thought it would but it did. Everyone else I knew got better too with hard work and focusing only on being HEALTHY & HAPPY and that is what I wish for you in the new year. Take care.
I had no idea. I too suffered with this problem while I was dating my exboyfriend. He used to make me feel awful about myself. I also used to catch him checking out his ex-girlfriends pictures and she was a beanpole. He had mentioned that she was bulemic, and so I tried it out. I was hooked. When my new boyfriend finally caught wind of it he made me stop... and I haven't done it since :) So here's to you... good luck and diet safely!!
ReplyDeleteJust reading your story, and the two comments below, really makes me sad :( That such beautiful, wonderful women hurt their bodies this way.
ReplyDeleteI too am always picking myself apart. Pants that don't fit because I've gained weight. Dresses that hang in the closet unworn. I just quit eating for a while. Then they fit. It's terrible, and unhealthy, but it's the truth.
Why do we do it to ourselves? Demand something that our bodies aren't made to be? Thank you for opening up the forum, and do know you are not alone! It sounds like you have a grip on things right now...and I hope you won't stop looking for healthy ways to stay fit.
I know this must have been a hard post for you to write. It speaks volumes that you were able to do so :)