Not too much going on in Hometown, VA. A new bar opened up earlier in the Fall so everyone I ever knew in life goes there and its always a high school reunion in there. Last night was no exception, but it is starting to get a bit old. Tomorrow the family and I are heading to Charleston for a few days. I wish it were summer time but I feel like its going to be a good trip as long as Dad and Brother don't get into it. They have a history of getting into some heated arguments, especially on long road trips. Its about an 8 hour drive, but hopefully it flies by. Anyone have any good shopping/sight-seeing recommendations? They would be most helpful.
I don't think I have discussed this before, but I suppose there is no time like the present. My mom is Jewish and my dad is Catholic, so over the years our holiday festivities have taken some twists and turns. When I was younger and the only child we did both. I received gifts on Hanukkah as well as on Christmas morning. I know there is a video of the three of us opening gifts on Christmas when we were pretty young and then somewhere over the years we only got Hanukkah presents and my dad got Christmas presents. At some point in elementary school we moved back to both. In recent years we haven't been home on Christmas as we were always in Upstate, NY with family. Well, the moral of the story is that we put up our Christmas tree this year for the first time in about 10 years. It was already up by the time I got home, and we don't really have much tradition. I read all of your blogs about the things you do ever year around the holiday season and it makes me think about my lack thereof when it comes to holiday traditions. I don't really know where I was going with that so excuse the hodge podge of thoughts. I guess I can only make sure that when I get married and have a family of my own, that I start my own traditions.
Question for those of you that are married/engaged/otherwise involved. I was talking with my mom about NY next year and finding a boy, etc etc. as she often likes to point out my apparent loneliness and ask me what I am bringing to the table and why I am still single and all sorts of introspective questions. Well, she claims that you'll never meet the person of your dreams in a bar. My thoughts are that you never know. Especially in NYC where there are so many different types of people. What are your thoughts? Where did you girls meet your current significant others?
Merry Christmas Eve everyone! Hope you are all spending time with the ones you love!

Sounds like you have been having a good holiday season so far!:) I LOVE Charleston and actually two of my best friends live there. I def. like the shopping strip right thru downtown and there is this little bar called Off the Hook that is super fun. It is not one of those super nice bars but, more like chill...wear jeans. Way fun and on the beach! :)
ReplyDeleteI absolutely love sitting inside on a snowy day and watching the snow fall as well...SO jealous that you're going to Charleston I've always wanted to go!
ReplyDeleteM ~ I am sad you haven't had solid holiday traditions. I can't imagine the holidays without our traditions, but then for me the Christmas season is grounded in my faith. I guess the question for you is: what do you believe? I don't expect you to answer this publicly, I know it's an extremely personal question. But the true spirit of the holidays is part and parcel of the faiths from which they stem, otherwise it's just a commercial exercise. Maybe exploring your beliefs and trying to grow in your faith, whatever that might be, would be fulfilling to you? It would probably also give you some personal peace, and help you identify what you're looking for in a life partner and what you expect your traditions to be when you get married and start a family. Just my opinion, of course.
ReplyDeleteHonestly, I agree with your mom. I never met anyone worthwhile in a bar - meaning anyone worth more than a date or two. Bars are meat markets. If that's not what you're looking for, you're looking in the wrong place. I would get involved in some community service organizations, or in an organization that interests you, and just be active and have fun. Sign up with Team in Training and train for a marathon or something. Volunteer at a shelter or food bank. The possibilities are endless. But if you're active and doing things that matter to you, you're more likely to meet someone to whom the same things matter.
Hang in there! I promise it will happen!!!