Thursday, February 10, 2011

frustration.

a wee bit of a rant ahead. don't say i didn't warn ya!


I have finally  gotten to a place where I actually ENJOY going to the gym. I like the way I feel afterward and knowing that I did something for me and only me. I can feel my body changing and getting stronger and I can see a difference in the way my clothes are fitting. I am not being obsessive about it but I do feel a little bit of guilt on the days where I don't go, but that's all normal human feeling stuff. I am mostly eating healthy, with the occasional splurge. What I do not see more of is that stupid number on the scale going down. Why am I a so obsessed with that number? Granted I did go away this past weekend so I a) didn't work out and b) drank and ate more than I would have but I did love every second of it. And also granted this is the week of woman troubles so I shouldn't have weighed myself anyways but uggghhhh. I can't help feeling a little bit discouraged. My trainer asked my last night if I had weighed myself and had this not been period week my answer would have been "Oh yea, like 4 times a day" Yes, I know it's crazy. And I know that it is one of the leftover habit of my eating disorder years, but I want so badly for that number to go down. I also want the little tiny number in the back of my jeans to go down. When I go shopping, even though I am fully aware of the fact that different brands are cut differently so my size varies across the board, regardless of how much I love a piece of clothing, if I have to go up a size I REFUSE TO BUY IT. Talk about psycho. I guess the summation of this rant is that I need to learn to not be a slave to the scale. They are just numbers after all. Much easier said than done.

6 comments:

  1. Easier said than done, but ditch the scale. Seriously. You'll be so much happier if you do.

    Are you working out and eating well? Are your clothes fitting better? Are you happy with how you feel and how you look (within reason...we all have areas we wish were different)? Then that's all you need to know. A number on the scale doesn't mean anything, and obsessing over it can be really unhealthy.

    Seriously. Ditch the scale. You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you're feeling! That happened to me this past summer, and I had someone hide my scale so I didn't weigh myself as much. I continued my workout almost everyday, and after a month went by I weighed myself and the number went down a ton! It's a great feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly how you feel... I went on vacation for two weeks over December and did not work out and ate horribly and then almost had a break down when I weighed myself... but what you need to know is that if you are working out regularly and eating healthy then you will get there... plus you are probably gaining muscle which weighs more than fat. LWH and Katie Ann are right... try and step on the scale less... like only once a week. You will notice a change quicker than you think and what's most important is that you are happy with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand! It's so hard to lose but what a rewarding feeling to start having everything get tighter and clothes fit better! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG. I have such a love/HATE relationship with working out...and I'm not going to lie...it's all mostly hate. I don't know why but it's SO hard for me to motivate myself to eat healthy (I pretty much want heavy carbs and sweets 24/7) and I loathe working out. I hate it. It's so freaking hard.
    DOn't get discouraged. YOU can do it!!! I'm going o have to start getting better about it too. I've been trying really hard over the last month but this week I've had a major set back and have been baking sweets like a crazy person. I guess I'm goign to have get myself back in the gym next week because if not all my clothes are going to be waaay too tight. ANyway, basically, I was writing to tell you that you're not alone. Hang in there. You can do it! You will get there. ANd please keep blogging about it because it helps people like me. Thanks!!!! can't wait to read more about your progress!!! :) xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I enjoyed going to the gym...but I have zero motivation. I need someone to basically hold my hand to get there and work out. But then Im glad I went. I posted about my zero motivation recently too!

    ReplyDelete